Tuesday, September 13, 2011

La Mano del Desierto, Chile



Hey everyone! I apologize for not having written a blog post in SO long, my junior year so far has been extremely crazy!


Last week was our recruitment week for Kappa Kappa Gamma then on Sunday was Bid Day! My chapter welcomed 15 beautiful new members and I’m so excited to have them!

Anywho, moving on to the main subject of this post…

Several weeks ago, I went to see “The Rise of the Planet of the Apes” and it was surprisingly very good! I was extremely impressed with all of the special effects not to mention the whole movie in general was really intense. Anyway, I’m not here to talk movie reviews but I do have a reason for bringing this up.


The place I want to adventure to today actually looks like it’s straight out of the original movie “Planet of the Apes.” I’m not kidding either, take a look!



La Mano del Desierto, meaning “Hand of the Desert,” is a giant hand merging out of the ground in the Atacama Desert in Chile. This stone hand is about 36 feet tall and has a base made of iron and cement. The Atacama Desert is the driest desert in the world (bet you didn’t know that!). The sculpture was finished in 1992 by the Chilean artist Mario Irarrazabal, which was meant to symbolize the emphasis on human vulnerability and helplessness.


Irarrazabal has built other sculptures around the world featuring giant body parts but this one will certainly last a long, long time because of the lack of precipitation and deterring weather.

Although very simple, this huge sculpture draws a huge amount of attraction by tourists and is very popular in Chile. What do you think about La Mano del Desierto?

Related Posts by Categories



Total Pageviews